Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Whole 30- Sweet Potato Chips

Okay y'all, I FAILED... miserably at this! 

Let's hope you can learn from my mistakes and come out victorious! Sweet potato chips. 



Now, let's first start off by saying I don't like sweet potatoes in the first place. My intention for these chips were originally to give my hubby something to munch on. And if there is anything I hate more than failing, it's failing when trying to do something for someone else. Fortunately I do not give up that easily! These will be made again next week and next time I will prevail! (Send me your tips and suggestions so I can succeed! ha)

Here is my source of frustration, the original recipe.
Quite honestly I set myself up for failure... Her chips are burned. Why did I think mine wouldn't?
EASY BAKED SWEET POTATO CHIPS
 
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 sweet potatoes, washed and dried thoroughly
  • 1 tsp olive oil (olive oil spray is best)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • parchment paper
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Using a mandoline, slice sweet potatoes as thinly as possible.
  3. Pat sweet potato slices dry with paper towel, add to medium sized bowl.
  4. Spray slices with olive oil mist (or add 1 tsp olive oil) and generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, or any other herbs you'd like to add.
  5. Lay slices on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, do not overlap.
  6. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, until crispy.
  7. Turn oven up to 350 and let chips brown very slightly. Watch chips and make sure they do not burn.
  8. If you'd like them cool, place on a cooling rack and let sit 10 minutes.
  9. Serve and enjoy!
She even gives this great tip for impatient people such as myself. 
 If you’re craving some chips fast, you can bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes- but you must flip and rotate the chips to ensure they don’t stick or burn. This is a bit more complicated, but will still get you delicious crunchy chips! 
So, I tried both ways!  Here is what I would change:

First recipe:

I added garlic powder, salt, and a tiny bit of pepper to a few of them and they are pretty good! (minus the ash taste, of course)
Also, go easy on the pepper. I thought I put a little bit and my mouth was on fire with how spicy they were! (refer to top picture)

Go to step 6 and then STOP!!! Check your chips. If they are crunchy, take them out. If they need a little bit more time, stick them back in at 250F for maybe 5 more minutes. DONE! Don't even attempt to turn the oven up. I looked away for maybe 3 minutes and mine DIED! They just burned, shriveled up, and died. 

SEE!
The first time I pulled them out they were nice and crispy, a tiny hint of tan, and possibly delicious. Then I followed the rest of the directions and ..well.. you see. 

Second Recipe:



This recipe is okay. I cooked them on 350 for 20 minutes, flipped them, and cooked for another 10. In hindsight I probably would have flipped at 15 minutes and left them in for another 10. 
These are sort of gooey. The point of chips is to be crispy. But if you are impatient and cook them to fast, half is crispy and half is sort of chewy, gooey. 

OVERALL: 
Next time I will go for the longer cook time but stop at step 6. And I like the garlic salt on them. 

BONUS: Leave the seasoning off and make some surprise dog treats for your precious pup!

Let me know how this one works out for YOU! Good luck!













No comments:

Post a Comment