Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Whole 30 Snacks

Alright party people. Let's talk SNACKS!
(That don't leave you still hungry!)

I don't know about you but I am a snacker. I can skip a meal or two, snack all day, and be perfectly happy! I had to find some 'compliant' snacks for this meal plan. 

  1. Who else is tired of "Just eat a banana."?
I love fruit. But I do not want to ONLY eat fruit all day. A banana, an apple, blueberries, an orange, and the list goes on and on. Give me those and I will still be hungry after I have eaten a pound of whatever fruit I just ate. They just don't fill me up. 

So, this morning I realized I had red potatoes in my pantry. (seriously from like a month ago) I decided to try something new and I AM IN LOVE! 

I am seriously craving these potatoes all the time now!


One red potato (or more if you want more than a snack or to save some for later)
about a tbsp of Ghee
Salt

  • first I cleaned the red potato (and cut out the sprouts. Like I said.. a month old!)
  • Then, I used my mandolin and the "fry" attachment to slice the red potato. (I don't really know what the attachment is called but it slices stuff into strips like fries!) If you don't have that you can just cut the potato into thin strips. (smaller than fries but bigger than hashbrowns)
  • Next, turn your heat to medium and stick a skillet on. Put the Ghee in to melt. 
  • Once that has melted, add the potato slices (try to let each piece touch the pan at all times. i.e. not on top of each other)
  • Sprinkle salt all over. (You know how much salt you like! But if you need a measurement, I would say start with 1/4 tsp and go from there)
  • Let the slices cook until they are soft. (I didn't measure time but I would say maybe 10 minutes covered. Stir occasionally) 
  • When they are soft enough to stick your nail in (or maybe a knife or fork if you don't want to touch it), turn the heat to medium high. Cook for about another 5 minutes or until slightly browning. (again, make sure all slices are touching the pan and not on top of each other.) Stir about every minute. 
  • Turn the heat to high and let brown. Stir often. 
  • When they look nice and browned on the outside (not burnt) take them out and enjoy! 
These were so flipping delicious! They have a slight crunch on the outside but soft on the inside. I am in love with this recipe and will definitely be eating this.. forever! ha. 

2. There is more than one way to eat an avocado!



Who says you can't smash up your avocado? And I'm not talking about guacamole!... okay maybe smashed avocado IS guacamole but that's not what I am talking about here. I am talking about avocado dip... okay MY version of guacamole that isn't for chips. (: 

1 avocado
1/2 lime (lime juice)
salt
carrots
Whole 30 Ranch


  • First, cut, peel, and pit your avocado. 
  • Next, stick it in a bowl and smoosh it with a fork until there are no big chunks
  • Squeeze out the juice from half of a lime. 
  • Add a little salt (start with 1/4 tsp and go from there). Stir until well combined. 
  • Here is the secret, add Whole 30 Ranch Dressing! Let's say 1 1/2 tsp (or 1/2 tbsp). Stir
  • Dip your carrots and enjoy! (: 

3. I REALLY hope you saved those squash seeds!

I am eating these right this very moment 
and they are DE-LI-CIOUS! 



These inspired this post you could say. I was hungry enough for a snack, more hungry than just fruit, but didn't have enough time to eat a meal because dinner is just around the corner (or should I say hour?). 

Butternut squash seeds 
garlic powder
salt
1 tbsp Ghee

  • (OPTIONAL) Wash seeds. (personally I do NOT do this step. I like the gooey tasted of the squash cooked onto them)
  • First, Preheat oven to 350F
  • Next, melt about 1 tbsp of Ghee. (I did this in a microwavable bowl for about 45 sec-1min)
  • Pour melted Ghee over the seeds. (mine were already in a plastic bag so I just poured it on them and moved the seeds around to cover them all. You can put them in a container or bowl and mix with a spoon. Just make sure all seeds get covered)
  • Spread the seeds over a cookie sheet making sure none of them overlap. (You could use foil to keep from washing the pan. I didn't spray non-stick because the Ghee is already on the seeds)
  • Sprinkle garlic powder over seeds. (remember, garlic powder is stronger than garlic salt. A little bit goes a long way!)
  • Sprinkle salt over seeds. 
  • Put in the oven for a total of 10 minutes. DON'T FORGET TO FLIP SEEDS AFTER 5 MINUTES!
  • At 5 minutes flips the seeds. I also take this time to add a little more salt and powder. 
  • Take seeds out and let cool for a few minutes. (remember, if you keep them on the pan they will continue cooking and may burn on the side they are laying)
These are so delicious! I know we will be fighting over them at my house! 

HAPPY SNACKING!

Stay on track because YOU are worth it! 
Remember to love yourself (: 

4. Also see my post on sweet potato chips here









No comments:

Post a Comment